Thursday, August 2, 2007

A moment for the victims of the Minneapolis bridge collapse

My good friend Jason called me at about 10:30 last night, asking me if I had CNN or Fox News or anything of that sort. When I reminded Jason that I'm poor (and thus the answer was no), he informed me of the Minneapolis bridge collapsing early last evening, killing anywhere from 4 to 7 people and injuring dozens more. It seemed the accident struck a little close to home for Jason; he's spent the past year working for Americorps in Point Pleasant, West Virginia, which in 1967 had a bridge collapse of its own, killing 46 people.

Obviously we're going to hear reports and witness lobbying over stricter bridge/construction testing over the next several months, because that's what catastrophes do to society--be they man-made like a bridge collapse or natural disasters such as Hurricane Katrina. Watching footage of the bridge this morning on Good Morning America (which they profiled extensively before cutting to a Diane Sawyer interview with Nicole Ritchie, which I think is absolutely hilarious), I guess one should be thankful that the death toll, while awful, isn't more than it is. The bridge looks like something out of a movie set, like one of those old disaster films from the 70's. I'll definitely be thinking good thoughts for the people of Minneapolis, especially those who lost someone to the accident.


In a sports-related story, the Twins decided to play on last night so as not to have their fans go back onto the highways and possibliy interfere with rescue operations. They've postponed tonight's game and groundbreaking ceremony for a new stadium, however.

No comments: