Monday, September 17, 2007

Weekend roundup 9/17: Brought to you by the Jimmy Clausen Face


I'm not sure if there's an image more capable of capturing the pain this guy's football team caused its fans Saturday. Heck, I don't even know if this image does justice to that slaughter.

There's no need to link an article here, no need to describe how Mike Hart eviscerated (again) the ND defensive line...all that Notre Dame fans need to know is that this most recent loss to Michigan might have been the worst loss in school history. Yeah, I know there some pretty awful bombs in 2003, but this was just ridiculous: snapping the ball over the quarterback's head twice in the first quarter; knowing that Mike Hart was coming--and on the left side, too--yet doing little to keep the defense honest; and of course, we don't need to get into how the offensive line played. You don't need some yahoo in Columbus to reiterate what everyone on ABC, ESPN, Fox, and the Internet had already said within an hour of the game's conclusion.

Instead let me say this: I knew it'd be ugly, but I had no idea. And now instead of expecting a win against Michigan State next Saturday, I'm merely expecting us to score our first offensive touchdown. I can't believe Mark May was right. I hate myself right now.

Other thoughts from the Saturday games:
  • Again, I wish we could see what Jimmy Clausen was seeing in terms of receiving options downfield. You have to assume those players are covered, because while Clausen is playing with the worst o-line in football, he's holding onto the ball wayyyyy too long. No question Brady Quinn took his lumps his first year under center, but this is not at all what we expected from the new Golden Boy.
  • I've got too much respect for Mike Hart to call him something I'd normally reserve for Reggie Bush or John L. Smith. He played great, props to him. It must have been comforting for Michigan fans to see his team rally around him like that. He's definitely what Bo Shembechler would have called a "Michigan man." Unfortunately ND fans were too busy vomiting to notice all the emotion.
  • Charlie Weis stated in the press conference Saturday that Sunday wasn't a film day, but a practice day. What can you say? He's lost. Although I imagine the thighs of our offensive lineman will be sizzling this morning...
  • While I'm at it, fuck rebuilding seasons, man.
  • Oh wait, Ohio State's having a "rebuilding year" too, and they just thumped Willingham's Washington squad 31-14. Can't say enough good things about how well the defense played, forcing turnovers and taking over the game early in the second half, completely throwing Washington's stud QB Jake Locker out of whack. The key moment of the OSU victory was OSU blocking a field goal (I think; I'm too tired to look up exactly what happened), and Jim Tressel sending Todd Boeckman out on a long bomb to Brian Robiskie that broke the game wide open. I heard earlier last week that good coaches try to make a big play after getting good field possession after a turnover, and that's what Tressel did there. OSU goes into Big Ten play in a headstrong sprint.
  • I caught about a quarter of the USC/Nebraska game, and that's all I needed to conclude that yes, USC deserves the #1 spot. They play with the efficiency of an NFL squad. This doesn't make me hate them any less.
  • Finally, happy news: not only did the Bears defense/Devin Hester get me 20 points on my Fantasy Team (in other news, Kansas City is really bad this year), but the Cubbies take 3 out of 4 against the Cards! Soriano came up big (2 HR in the doubleheader Saturday), and Trachsel, Zambrano, Marquis and co. are all to be congratulated for their pitching. Still, they only have a game lead on the Brewers...don't give up the fight just yet...

No comments: